Friday is "extra chore" day. All I have from our Friday (4/30) is one lone picture:
After that the day is much less exciting.
Our usual Friday routine goes like this:
- Morning prayers (at least a Morning Offering, Our Father, and Hail Mary to start our day. Our Lady of La Salette instructed the children to whom she appeared to pray both morning and night, at least an Our Father and Hail Mary, if they couldn't do more. So this is what I take for our bare minimum every day.)
- Baltimore Catechism (we're currently working through #2) and read aloud (in today's case, more on William the Conqueror in Our Island Story). The kids usually draw or color during this time. This morning I must banish Lego daleks from the table so that certain boys can concentrate on the catechism.
- Kids dress, brush teeth, and start daily chores -- Gareth (collect eggs, empty and load dishwasher, wipe counters, take out recycling); Katydid (feed and water chickens, bring and sort laundry, MTWTH wipe out bathroom sinks); Farmerboy (pick up family room); little boys (brush teeth and put on clothes without driving everyone insane).
- After their daily chores, we move on to extra chores -- Gareth (clean all bathrooms and take out bathroom trash); Katydid (fold one basket of laundry, put it away, pick up the always messy laundry room and vacuum it, help watch little boys; Farmerboy, Pip, and Pop (pick up the hallway that functions as our toy room for Legos, Playmobil, and Star Wars action figures); me and Chipmunk (work on bedrooms, picking up, vacuuming etc.)
- Lunch time!
- Outside (This Friday happened to be warmer than the previous Thursday, thank goodness, so we spent a while outside. Considering that we had been mostly stuck inside all week, I chose to let the big kids have more outside time when I took the little boys inside for naps, instead of making them take the usual two hour work period.)
- Work on Fridays generally consists of projects, nature walks, art, maybe a Latin quiz, reading... but no math or grammar or other textbooky things.
- Wii and computer time for all (including me)
- Dinner (frozen pizza tonight, as I am tired and Andy will be out of town until very late Saturday, but we do often have "pizza night" on Fridays)
- After dinner chores -- Gareth (pick up living room and entryway, sweep floors, vacuum rug); Katydid (wipe table, pick up and sweep kitchen and dining room floors); Farmerboy (clear table, pick up family room and vacuum rug), Pip and Pop (assigned each to a big kid as a helper); me and/or Andy (dinner dishes and kitchen duty, laundry).
- The usual stack of books for the little boys and bed... 10:30 at the earliest when Andy is out of town. I stopped trying to put them to bed earlier, because they went to bed at the same time whether I tried to put them in bed at 8::30 or 10:00. It's much less of a fight to wait.